South Plains Project

South Plains Project
'In search of the perfect ale'

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Americans Celebrate Thanksgiving in Southern Sweden




            For the past three years I have done Thanksgiving dinner for 'The American Women's Club', Malmö  Chapter. This particular meal is probably my favorite of all the holidays. Maybe it's the childhood memories, or the fellowship with family & friends or just a great meal and now since I have been living abroad, I feel a sense of patriotism and it's a part of my American culture I want to share with my wife & children. This year I opened the dinner up to 'Democrats Abroad' and 'International Christian Fellowship' to bring in a few more Americans. I had about 50 altogether, mostly Americans with Swedish wives or husbands and their little bi-cultural children. I did a traditional Thanksgiving menu, perhaps leaning a little to the gourmet side, but thats my nature. I put a photos slideshow up on the gadget bar. It was a great day of celebration & fellowship with friends & family, the only thing missing was throwing a football outside afterwards, but this far in the northern hemisphere it's dark outside by 3:30pm.






7 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! One suggestion, get out there with the football at lunchtime--take a break for 15 minutes and throw the ball around just to get it out of your system! We miss having you here in the USA but love reading about your adventures! Your friends, the Farr family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,
    what a great blog. Love all the links and getting to read about all you're doing. The only problem is that I get too hungry reading the descriptions of the incredible meals you create. Los Johansen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeffrey,
    Looking forward to sitting with you soon! Would love to visit again in Sweden!
    Hugs, Rosa Lee Johansen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, que hermoso lugar y todo que todo lo que preparas debe ser delicioso, ya hace muchos años en Bucaramanga - Colombia tuve la oportunidad de probar tus deliciosas recetas.

    Hugs.. Doris Macias Diaz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doris,
    Siempre que necesite una receta, siempre estoy encantado de ayudarle, me alegro de que puedes ver mi nueva vida a pesar de que estamos tan lejos
    Chao, Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias Jeff, todas tus recetas deben ser exquisitas y Three Lily Bud se ve espectacular y muy acogedor ...lastimas que estemos tan lejos pero cuando quieras volver a visitar Colombia aqui tienes donde llegar... abrazos, Doris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked at all the pictures from your Thanksgiving dinner, it looks beautiful and like a fun time was had by all. Of all the American traditions Thanksgiving is my favorite aswell (even thoughg it's a total lie, there was no such peaceful dinner that ever took place between Pilgrims and Indians) because it is a time that is not exclusive but brings everyone together through good food and the gratitude we share for this life regardless or religion.

    Love and miss you!
    Libby

    ReplyDelete