South Plains Project

South Plains Project
'In search of the perfect ale'

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

South Plains Project:The Plate Heat Exchanger

I ordered the plate heat exchanger from Processor inn Spånga just outside Stockholm. It will take roughly 4 weeks for them to build it for me.Cost:6800 kr.($1000). It will take 900 liters of boiling wort and pass it through this chiller to put the wort in the fermenting tanks at 20-22 degrees Celsius (68-72 Fahrenheit) so I can add my yeast culture and start fermentation. I will be using well water to pass the opposite direction which costs almost nothing.

Wikipedia describes it as this:






'The concept behind a heat exchanger is the use of pipes or other containment vessels to heat or cool one fluid by transferring heat between it and another fluid. In most cases, the exchanger consists of a coiled pipe containing one fluid that passes through a chamber containing another fluid. The walls of the pipe are usually made of metal, or another substance with a high thermal conductivity, to facilitate the interchange, whereas the outer casing of the larger chamber is made of a plastic or coated with thermal insulation, to discourage heat from escaping from the exchanger'


    So this is the last piece of equipment I need, I now have everything to put together my brewery. I feel like I'm really making progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment